Ledum Pal… A short comparative study…
With Ledum many drugs such as Arnica, Hypericum, and Calendula can be kept in choice for a case injury but it is important to know when to prescribe and what to prescribe?
Ledum is mostly indicated for punctured wounds which may be a due to bite of stings, wasps, mosquito or a condition where rusty nail or needle is driven in to a part with out much damage to nerves. There is no laceration in a Ledum kind of wound.
The lacerated wound in a part situation such as torn finger nail ends where the part is rich in nerves may call for Hypericum.
But when the wound is lacerated in nature then the first remedy is Calendula where the best effect is on external application when the cause is external. There is open cut or laceration in calendula type of injury.
The type of injury where there is no laceration but with a contused bruised feeling of the affected part is present then the remedy of choice is Arnica. The cause will be of a blunt instrument whereas in Ledum it is with a sharp instrument but both have the ability to dissolve clot.
Ledum and Hypericum have a marked action on tetanus.
Ledum should be given as preventive for tetanus immediately after a punctured wound before the symptoms begin.
Hypericum is given when tetanus comes on from punctured wounds in palms or soles or in other parts.
Ascending type of rheumatism is characteristic in Ledum where Silicea, Rhus tox also have such kind of rheumatism. In Silicea the pains are > by covering up, in case of Ledum the pain is > by uncovering. Rhus tox can be prescribed when the pain is
> Warmth of bed, > motion which is vise versa in Ledum.
Both in Ledum and Bryonia the rheumatic pains are < by motion, the differentiation is Ledum with scanty effusion with hardening whereas is Bryonia copious effusion is seen.
Characteristics symptoms of Ledum pal…
1. Mind symptoms.
2. Traumatism and Ecchymosis
4. Puffiness, swelling, discolorations.
5. Hemorrhagic tendency.
6. Ascending tendency.
7. Alternating symptoms.
8. Contradictory symptoms.
- Aversion to: friends, company.
- Anger irascibility and violent.
- Desires solitude, avoids the sight of people.
- Dread of men, anthrophobia.
- Concentration is difficult
- Disgust with everything.
- Restlessness, must move constantly
- Prostration of mind, mental exhaustions, brain fag.
- Irritability, morose, cross, fretful, ill humor, peevish.
- Talking in sleep.
- Unconscious, coma in the morning.
Traumatism and Ecchymosis:
- Ledum is pre-eminently a remedy for punctured wounds.
- Stings of insects (bees, wasps), mosquitoes, rat bites.
- Felons after needle prick.
- Ecchymosis remains long time in the bruised part after pain and inflammation subside.
- Black and blue spots after blows and bruises.
- Prevents tetanus.
- Patient is cold all the time, always feels cold and chilly.
- Intense coldness during fever is very characteristics.
- Chilliness without subsequent heat.
- Wounded parts and affected joint cold to touch but not subjective.
- Rheumatic pains ameliorated from cold applications or by holding feet or any other affected limb on ice water. (sec., puls,).
Puffiness, swelling, discolorations:
- Parts particularly face and those that are injured are purple, puffy, and at times edematous.
- Old gouty subjects with mottled and puffy face.
- Inflammatory or edematous swelling of legs, feet, penis.
- Gushing discharges of bright red blood.
- Expectoration of bright red blood with violent cough.
- Blood shot eyes or black eyes; extravasations of capillaries in eyes.
- All kinds of pain: punctured wounds, gout, have tendency to shoot upwards.
- Paralysis ascending from feet upward.
- Swellings have tendency to move upwards.
- Gouty deposits ascend from fingers, toes, and wrist.
- Haemoptysis alternating with the attacks of rheumatism.
- Phthisis preceded by history of neuralgia and rheumatism of head and limbs.
- Coxalgia alternates with rheumatism.
- Intense coldness during fever.
- Parts of the body cold to touch (wounds) but not felt by the patient.
- Head ache relieved by bathing head with cold water.
- Rheumatic pains relieved by cold applications.
- Coldness in limbs worse from warm application, warmth of bed even.
- Extreme chilliness < covering, > cold applications.
My clinical experience with Ledum Pal in insect bite…
A seven years old female child was brought to my clinic with a swollen lower lip and redness in the affected part. The child reported me that while playing in the garden she was bitten by a wasp. This incidence occurred just 15 minutes ago.
Just 2 medicated sugar globules of Ledum Pal in 30 potency crushed with lactose was given orally which relived her from pain in 5 minutes, followed by disappearance of swelling and redness showing a punctured mark in her chin just below the lower lip and within next 10 minutes the child became normal.
The anti parasitic action and intoxicating effect of Ledum had acted very rapidly in this case as the characteristic symptoms redness, swelling, punctured wound, Wasp bite suited to it.
1. Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica - J.H. CLARKE.
2. Lectures on Homoeopathic Materia Medica - J.T. KENT.
3. The Master Key to Materia Medica - K.C. BHANJA.
4. New Comprehensive Homoeopathic Materia Medica of Mind - H.L. CHITKARA